FTP transferring large files causing sporadic mouse lag

Advertisement

michealespinola
Donor

FTP transferring large files causing sporadic mouse lag

* WinSCP v6.3.4 (Build 14955 2024-06-17)
* Windows 11 Pro v23H2 (Build 22631.3958)
* FTP via drag-and-drop within the main interface

Its been a couple of years since I've transferred all of my media off of my phone on to my Windows desktop via FTP, although I frequently use WinSCP for SSH-based tasks. This time, using the latest version of 6.3.4, I have noticed a problem while the transfer was running in the background - and that is, my mouse was sporadically lagging. And I say sporadic, as in the problem would come and go - and seemed to coincide with transferring large MP4 files (e.g. 20-800 MB). Smaller JPG files (e.g. 1-30 MB) did not seem to cause any mouse issues. After the large files were done, the rest of the small files transferred without any coinciding lag.

I experienced this while transferring a mix of 389 files totaling about 6.3 GB of data. CPU and Memory use at the time were normal and nominal (WinSCP.exe showing 0% CPU and 30 K memory usage). This is a freshly setup Dell XPS 8940, with an Intel i7-10700, 32 GB RAM, and running a fully patched and updated Windows 11 Pro (23H2, 22631.3958), while copying via FTP to a a 500 GB NVMe that had no transfer load on it at the time. All stats on it while making the transfer were very minimal.

My speculation of the induced mouse lag is that it was caused by or in combination with Windows Security's real-time scanning app MsMpEng.exe which was CPU list spiking to the top of the list in Task Manager. MsMpEng.exe wasn't showing high CPU, but it was continuously posting at the top of the list while this lag was occurring. It seemed to be the only active app while the transfer was running.

Everything otherwise worked as expected. Only the mouse sporadically lagged during larger files. The mouse is a Logitech G700 running the latest drivers and has line of sight to its specialized individual dongle (not a Logitech Unifying receiver). The mouse is otherwise flawless (before and after) and I use as well as game with it daily.

I don't think I have any logs I can post that would be or show and relevant data, but I'm willing to redo/try my previous transfer scenario or any other tests that might be helpful in collecting whatever additional data you would like to see. I've never experienced a problem with WinSCP before, so this is pretty weird. Thanks for reading this!

Advertisement

I don't feel that's a WinSCP issue. Lots of things go into the mouse working and can have bugs including the mouse firmware, various pieces of the OS, the GPU driver, the GPU, and more. WinSCP doesn't really have any bearing on the mouse.

There's quite a lot of tests you can do including GPU drivers, different GPU, different OS, different mouse, checking for mouse firmware update, BIOS update, trying the mouse wired, and plenty more.

Lag can also be introduced wirelessly if the USB receiver is too far. I place mine near the mouse. If you have yours right on the computer (a big negative as anything can be introduced at any time to cause interference), you should either get a USB extension or plug it into the keyboard if it has USB ports or something so its next to the mouse.

Additional input devices can also affect others at times.

But, input issues especially the mouse has a lot involved where bugs can exist as a lot of stuff goes into that mouse pointer on your screen. Its actually very complex in today's computing.

Hope it goes well for you.

martin
Site Admin
martin avatar

Re: FTP transferring large files causing sporadic mouse lag

Thanks for your report. What exactly is happening then the mouse is "lagging"? Does it move slower? Or erratically? Does it happen only when WinSCP is active? Or even when it is in the background?

Advertisement

You can post new topics in this forum